Saturday, July 30, 2011

Vegan Summer "Pasta"

vegan pasta zucchiniI found this recipe for vegan raw spring pasta through Finding Vegan (my new favorite site! the pics are awesome and always inspire me to try new dishes). The picture made my mouth water - it just looked so deliciously creamy! But, surprise, that's not pasta- it's spiralized zucchini!

I had never used - or for that matter heard of- a spiralizer before, but I have to say, I got pretty excited about using it for the first time. I can make noodles out of vegetables??!! No way!!!

The epic virgin spiralizer experience:

spiralizerI can't wait to try out other things, too - like sweet potato fries and homemade veggie chips. But back to the "pasta" dish. The recipe comes from Vegan Culinary Crusade, so I can't take any credit. But I'm glad I found it! Here are the ingredients and steps, copied from VCC:

Pasta ingredients:
  • 1 large zucchini, peeled or spiralized into noodles
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/2 cup frozen peas
  • 1/2 cup asparagus
Sauce
  • 1 avocado
  • 6 TBSP water
  • 1 TBSP lemon juice
  • zest of 1 lemon
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp ground pepper
  • 1 TBSP fresh thyme
Steps:
  1. Wash & cut fresh asparagus into bite-sized pieces and place in the freezer. Keep the peas in the freezer as well until you are ready to use them.
  2. Peel & spiralize the zucchini (it's easy!) and mix in the salt & pepper. Set aside.
  3. Put all the ingredients for the sauce in a blender or processor and blend until creamy.
  4. Boil a pot of water. Remove the asparagus & peas from the freezer and place in a large bowl. Once the water has reached a boil, pour it over the asparagus & peas so that they are completely covered. Let stand for ~ 2 minutes.
  5. Drain the water from the asparagus & peas and mix in with the zucchini noodles.
  6. Add the sauce & toss!
Notes:
Just a little bit of a warning: raw veggies can be a little harder on the digestive system (sometimes they make you... bloated), so moderate your portion sizes.

This dish looks creamy and rich, just like an alfredo pasta. But looks can be deceiving! The avocado does give the sauce a nice creaminess, but obviously it doesn't taste like a cream sauce. But, the dish is summery and refreshing with the lemon and thyme. This would be a good accompaniment to a summer meal, but I'm not sure I'm sold on raw zucchini.

Bon appetite!
vegan pasta dinner raw zucchini

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments-drop me a line if you're stopping by!