Saturday, July 16, 2011

Edamame Hummus

vegan edamame hummus sandwich
Recently my husband and I discovered Trader Joe's edamame hummus. In a word, yum. When he asked me to pick some up from the store, I sneakily said I would, but, flying high off of my recent triumph of making my own batch of hummus for the first time, I just got the ingredients instead. This is what I whipped up:

edamame hummus
I used the recipe base from Gena from Choosing Raw's high protein hemp hummus, and simply switched out the chic peas for about 2 cups of cooked shelled edamame. I also added a few other things (a little onion, a little olive oil, and some pepper).

Ingredients:
  • 2-2.5 cups of cooked shelled edamame
  • 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
  • Pepper to taste
  • 3 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 1 small clove garlic, minced
  • 2 Tbsp chopped onion
  • 1 Tbsp tahini
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • Water
Steps:
  1. Add all ingredients but the water and oil and begin to process. (You may want to start with about 3/4 of the edamame and add the rest after breaking it down a bit).
  2. Add water and olive oil (stopping to scrape the bowl a few times) until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
  3. Garnish with some left over edamame beans and chill prior to serving.

For the sandwich above, I used multigrain spelt bread, a solid helping of the edamame hummus, and a nice big avocado slice. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments-drop me a line if you're stopping by!