After loving this delicious raw kale salad, my eyes popped at this yummy version with beets, apples, and avocado from The Happy Go Lucky Vegan. So I had to make that too! I changed things up a bit by using golden beets (they are so pretty and have such a great flavor!) and pomegranate seeds instead. Whereas the first kale salad listed above has a rich creamy dressing and Asian flavor, this second kale salad has a really bright, light, citrusy flavor to it, which I loved. It works really well with the pomegranate seeds too! And I LOVE that avocado is the primary ingredient in the dressing.
Ingredients (for the beet version pictured directly above):
- 1 bunch of kale, de-stemmed, washed, and coarsely chopped
- 1 ripe avocado, chopped
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 and 1/2 Tbsp olive oil (I used only 1 Tbsp)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp brown rice syrup (I subbed about 1/2 tsp agave syrup instead)
- 5-6 small beets sliced (I used golden beets, and steamed them... but roasted beets would be great too!)
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- 1 Granny Smith apple, chopped
- 1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds (I used pomegranate seeds instead)
- Whisk together the olive oil, salt, and brown rice syrup in a large bowl. Add the chopped avocado.
- Add in the raw, cleaned and chopped kale and massage it with the dressing and avocado mix (ie, just take your hands and mush it all together for about 3 minutes or so! This helps break down the kale, and, admit it- it's kind of fun too).
- Add the rest of the ingredients and toss gently. Add pepper to taste, and chill in the fridge prior to serving.