Sunday, July 17, 2011

Coo-Coo for Kale

Not too long ago I posted a kale salad I found while exploring some vegan blogs. Here it is again, featured on its own. I used the original kale salad recipe, along with some leftovers of Kathy from Health.Happy.Life's mushroom recipe from trio of bruschettas. The result is a really filling salad with a lot of flavor. The dressing (a miso sesame) has that Asian peanuty flavor, the kale is just the right amount of crisp, vine ripe tomatoes provide the color pop, and the truffle salt thyme mushrooms add that extra flavor that really complements the salad and dressing! I think this salad could also work with some tempeh added in.

vegan raw kale saladAfter loving this delicious raw kale salad, my eyes popped at this yummy version with beets, apples, and avocado from The Happy Go Lucky Vegan. So I had to make that too! I changed things up a bit by using golden beets (they are so pretty and have such a great flavor!) and pomegranate seeds instead. Whereas the first kale salad listed above has a rich creamy dressing and Asian flavor, this second kale salad has a really bright, light, citrusy flavor to it, which I loved. It works really well with the pomegranate seeds too! And I LOVE that avocado is the primary ingredient in the dressing.

vegan raw kale salad
Ingredients (for the beet version pictured directly above):
  • 1 bunch of kale, de-stemmed, washed, and coarsely chopped
  • 1 ripe avocado, chopped
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1 and 1/2 Tbsp olive oil (I used only 1 Tbsp)
  • 1 lemon, juiced
  • 1 tsp brown rice syrup (I subbed about 1/2 tsp agave syrup instead)
  • 5-6 small beets sliced (I used golden beets, and steamed them... but roasted beets would be great too!)
  • 1 cucumber, chopped
  • 1 Granny Smith apple, chopped
  • 1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds (I used pomegranate seeds instead)
Steps:
  1. Whisk together the olive oil, salt, and brown rice syrup in a large bowl. Add the chopped avocado.
  2. Add in the raw, cleaned and chopped kale and massage it with the dressing and avocado mix (ie, just take your hands and mush it all together for about 3 minutes or so! This helps break down the kale, and, admit it- it's kind of fun too).
  3. Add the rest of the ingredients and toss gently. Add pepper to taste, and chill in the fridge prior to serving.
Notes: As mentioned by Gena, kale salads are great because you can make them a few hours in advance and take them to a picnic or dinner party later on and they won't wilt and get mushy. Actually, I even have it the next day and it still is nice and crunchy- no soppy salad leftovers with these kale salads! Plus, kale is a super green- it's got tons of fiber, vitamin A, C, K, and lots of other healthy nutrients, all while weighing in at a measly 33 calories per cup. Who wouldn't be coo coo for kale when it tastes so good in these salads?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments-drop me a line if you're stopping by!