Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Fresh Corn Salad

From: Barefoot Contessa Cookbook, and Food Network.com

It doesn't get much easier than this quick salad/side dish. I first tried it at my friend Amy's house, and was amazed when she gave me the recipe that it was so simple. I think the secret is fresh ingredients.

Ingredients:
  • 5 ears of corn
  • 1/2 cup finely diced red onion (1 small onion)
  • 3 Tbsp of good olive oil
  • 3 Tbsp of cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup basil, chopped juilenne style
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
Serves: 4-6

Steps:
  1. Shuck and steam the ears of corn in a large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, about 3 minutes. Remove from pot and run under cold water to cool.
  2. Using a large knife, cut the corn from the cob when it is cool, cutting close to the cob. Put into a large bowl. Add the olive oil & vinegar and toss. Add sea salt and pepper to taste.
  3. Just before serving, cut basil and add to the dish, mix gently.
Notes: I like to add tomatoes (any kind work, but vine-ripe cut into bite-sized triangles) to this recipe. Also, it is really just as good with 1-2 Tbsp of olive oil only, if you don't have the vinegar and want to cut back on the dressing.

See also: My friend Paula's variation on this dish, with avocado and slightly different dressing, or my variation adding avocado & black beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments-drop me a line if you're stopping by!