It doesn't get much easier than this quick salad/side dish. I first tried it at my friend Amy's house, and was amazed when she gave me the recipe that it was so simple. I think the secret is fresh ingredients.
- 5 ears of corn
- 1/2 cup finely diced red onion (1 small onion)
- 3 Tbsp of good olive oil
- 3 Tbsp of cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup basil, chopped juilenne style
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- Shuck and steam the ears of corn in a large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, about 3 minutes. Remove from pot and run under cold water to cool.
- Using a large knife, cut the corn from the cob when it is cool, cutting close to the cob. Put into a large bowl. Add the olive oil & vinegar and toss. Add sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Just before serving, cut basil and add to the dish, mix gently.
See also: My friend Paula's variation on this dish, with avocado and slightly different dressing, or my variation adding avocado & black beans.