- 1 pound broccoli
- 1/2 small red onion, minced
- Coarse sea salt and fresh ground pepper
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved (note: grape tomatoes also work, but the cherry ones taste better!)
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp red-wine vinegar (note: Apple cider vinegar works here too!)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Cut the broccoli florets from the stalk. Steam in large pot until crisp but tender, about 5 minutes (the book recommends using a steamer basket with 1 inch of water beneath). Rinse with cold water in a strainer after cooking to cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the mustard, vinegar, olive oil, and onion. Season with salt & pepper.
- Add the tomatoes, chickpeas, and broccoli. Toss to coat ingredients with the dressing. May be served at room temp or chilled.
Notes: This is very easy to make! I usually don't add the full amount of dressing, as I prefer it very light, but the recipe is not heavy as is, so just add slowly to your preference. And if you are looking for a good cookbook, I highly recommend Great Food Fast- it is filled with simple, quick recipes that don't require a lot of ingredients but that still taste great. But it's not a vegetarian cookbook, so if you are veggie, be prepared to pick through or do some substitutes.
Pictures and a variation: here.