It's amazing what some butterscotch chips can do! My first experience with these incredibly addictive sweet treats was on my high school lacrosse team- various team members would bring post-game treats, and one of favorites was the scotcheroo. (Originally, they were covered with a layer of chocolate, but I actually prefer them without now). This recipe is so simple it barely requires an ingredient list and steps, but I'll indulge you.
- 6 cups Rice Krispie Treats
- 1 bag of marshmallows (regular-sized big ones)
- 3 Tbs butter or margarine
- 3/4 of a bag of butterscotch chips
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium-low heat.
- Add the marshmallows and continue to melt, stirring occasionally.
- When the marshmallows are almost completely melted (they still have a little shape to them but have blended together) add 1/2-3/4 of the bag of butterscotch chips.
- Stir until melted, only 1-2 minutes more.
- Add in the rice krispies and mix quickly to coat.
- Immediately transfer to a greased pan and spread into pan. You may need to wait a few minutes until the mix has cooled a bit to spread it evenly.
Variations: For a while I was drizzling melted chocolate over the top, to stay closer to the original scotcheroo. You can also go all-out and do the full chocolate topping: melt chocolate in a saucepan (baker's chocolate, follow package instructions for sweetening) and spread over the krispie treats in the pan.