Happy 2013! It's also been one year since I decided to officially go vegan! My one year veganiversary! ;-) It seems to have flown by!
We hosted yet another party last night, for New Year's Eve. Lots of fun, lots of food. Read on for the spread, and a few veganiversary thoughts!
Lots of apps!
- Artichoke & walnut pesto bruschetta - from Chloe's Kitchen
- Saffron cauliflower with green olives, golden raisins, and red onion -from my new cookbook Plenty
- Veggie napoleons - from Vegan Yum Yum (an altered version of last year's - roasted mushrooms, eggplant creme, and roasted asparagus)
- Roasted asparagus spears - simply drizzled with olive oil, tamari, and Italian herbs, roasted at 400F for 20 min. Delicious & easy.
- Veggie pigs in a blanket - Not-dogs (I used apple "sausage" links) wrapped in puff-pastry.
- Mocha-almond fudge cake - from Chloe's Kitchen. Amazingly delicious. Mmmmm. Seriously- this cake is heaven. I even altered it to use half the oil, by substituting some vanilla-flavored coconut milk yogurt, and it turned out perfectly.
A few veganiversary reflections:
I've found that being vegan has been such a positive and natural choice for me. It just feels me, it feels right. I feel healthy, fit, and proud and happy to be a vegan! I've loved how much I've tried and learned over the past year. On top of the health benefits and the ethical and environmental positive impacts, I also love that going vegan has unearthed a new hobby for me. I'm looking forward to another great year of vegan eating, learning, and growing in 2013!