Friday, January 4, 2013

Coconut Collards with Spiced Chickpeas


Collard greens. Not something I tend to think of as a go-to green. If anything, collard greens make me think of a greasy-spoon, down-home Southern cooking restaurant we used to go to in New York called Mama's. They aren't something I'd really go out of my way for, usually. But they do work beautifully in my black bean very veggie soup. And now, I have another great recipe they shine in: coconut collards, complemented by spiced, nutty, hearty chickpeas. A filling side dish or meal.



Coconut Collards and Spiced Chickpeas
Serves 2 as a meal or 4 as a side
Ingredients:
  • 1 large bunch collard greens, chopped and de-stemmed
  • 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
  • 2 Tbsp coconut oil, divided
  • Nutmeg to taste
  • Garam masala to taste
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Steps:
  1. Heat 1 Tbsp of coconut oil in a large pan until melted. Add the chickpeas and cook for ~ 5 minutes, then add the spices- a few dashes or about a 1/2 tsp of each, to taste. (I used a dash of nutmeg and a few dashes of garam masala). Continue sauteing until the chickpeas are golden brown. Remove the chickpeas from the pan, placing in a bowl, and set aside. 
  2. Heat the other Tbsp of coconut oil in the same pan you used for the chickpeas. Add chopped collard greens and cover. Steam until wilted, about 5-7 minutes. Taste and continue sauteing another few minutes until bitterness is reduced. Add salt, pepper, and just a dash of nutmeg and garam masala.
  3. Toss the chickpeas in with the greens, adding salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm and enjoy!
Leftovers tip: If you are warming this up the next day, try adding a tablespoon or two of coconut milk before re-heating in the microwave- it's a great addition!
Warm, spiced chickpeas: delicious on their own!

This is a nice change from your typical greens and beans!


2 comments:

  1. Oh, my gosh! This looks sooo delicious! I adore collard greens. I'd put them in the number two spot in my favorite greens. However, I never think to cook collards with Indian spices, and garam masala is so warming and tasty. I've got to pin this one for sure! Also, I love your pretty yellow bowls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah I love garam masala! My new favorite spice, in my new favorite bowl ;-)

      Delete

I love comments-drop me a line if you're stopping by!