Sunday, January 6, 2013

French Toast TWO!


This is an update from my earlier posted recipe for vegan French Toast with date compote.  Like the last version, I whipped this up in no time, and also used banana. Both recipes are incredibly easy, and trust me, you don't miss the eggs at all. But with this version, you can actually get some "eggy-looking" bits, sans any dairy products at all. This version also adds in a bit more flavor. Soft, sweet, toasty French toast. Simply made, and simply vegan.



Yogurt French Toast
Egg/dairy-free, serves 2-3
Ingredients:
  • ~8 slices "day old" french bread (# slices depends on size of your baguette)
  • 1 small banana
  • 6 oz of vanilla coconut milk yogurt (you could try another non-dairy yogurt, but the coconut is so great here! So Delicious or Trader Joe's brands are best. See my non-dairy yogurt post for more brand, flavor, and type info).
  • ~1/2 cup almond or soy milk (start with about 1/2 cup, add more to thin if needed)
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • Drizzle of maple syrup, plus extra for serving
  • Cinnamon to taste
  • ~1 Tbsp Earth Balance
Steps:
  1. Mash banana well. Depending on the size of your banana, you may not need to use it all (you want about 1/2-3/4 cup mashed), but you can save extra slices to heat and serve with the bread.
  2. Mix in the yogurt, extract, cinnamon, and milk. Whisk well to combine. Add a small drizzle of maple syrup and whisk again.
  3. Place the mix in a large low bowl or pie dish, and soak the bread slices until coated. You can do this in batches as you are cooking; just make sure the bread soaks up the mix a bit on each side.
  4. Heat the Earth Balance butter in a large skillet/pan until melted. Add the bread slices and heat until golden brown and toasty-looking on each side.
  5. Serve hot with warmed maple syrup.

Love me some French toast. Mmmmm, I want some French toast ;-)

1 comment:

  1. Yum, this sounds like a delicious breakfast! I tried making vegan banana french toast once, and it took a bit of practice to get it so that the bread wasn't too soggy. I loved the extra flavour that the banana adds though, and I like your idea of mixing yogurt into the batter too. I'll have to try this version next time!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments-drop me a line if you're stopping by!