I have been having my pumped-up oatmeal consistently for breakfast for a whiiiiillllllleeeeee... but as the weather's getting warmer, I've decided to mix it up a bit. Literally.
This green smoothie is super healthy, and a great way to jump-start the day!
- 2 large leaves kale, de-stemmed
- 5-6 ice cubes
- 6-7 sliced strawberries
- A few chunks fresh pineapple
- ~1 scoop protein powder of choice (I used Alive Vanilla flavor, but Spirutein Vanilla or a tropical flavor would be good too!)
- 1/4 cup soy or almond milk
- ~2-4 Tbsp water
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds, soaked in ~1/4 cup water for 10-15 minutes
- Optional add ins: 1/2 medium banana, 1-2 prunes (yes, prunes!)
- Pulse the kale and ice cubes in a food processor until ground.
- Add the strawberries and other fruit you're using until no chunks remain.
- Next, mix in the remaining ingredients until smooth (soaked chia seeds last); add additional water and/or milk to thin if desired.
This is tasty and easy, and it is amazing how it gets me going and keeps me full! It's not super sweet and sugary , so you can always add a sweetener, but I wanted to keep this mainly natural and healthy. You do get a fair amount of sweetness from the protein powder and fruits. I've made these smoothies for the past 2 mornings- the first with the banana option (with only about 1/2 scoop protein powder), and the second using a prune and a little more protein powder.... I actually think I like the prune version better- who knew?
With kale, chia, fiber, and protein, this is one kick-butt breakfast.