Wednesday, May 9, 2012

AM Green Machine!


I have been having my pumped-up oatmeal consistently for breakfast for a whiiiiillllllleeeeee... but as the weather's getting warmer, I've decided to mix it up a bit. Literally.

This green smoothie is super healthy, and a great way to jump-start the day!



Ingredients:
  • 2 large leaves kale, de-stemmed
  • 5-6 ice cubes
  • 6-7 sliced strawberries
  • A few chunks fresh pineapple
  • ~1 scoop protein powder of choice (I used Alive Vanilla flavor, but Spirutein Vanilla or a tropical flavor would be good too!)
  • 1/4 cup soy or almond milk
  • ~2-4 Tbsp water
  • 1 Tbsp chia seeds, soaked in ~1/4 cup water for 10-15 minutes
  • Optional add ins: 1/2 medium banana, 1-2 prunes (yes, prunes!)
Steps:
  1.  Pulse the kale and ice cubes in a food processor until ground. 
  2. Add the strawberries and other fruit you're using until no chunks remain.
  3. Next, mix in the remaining ingredients until smooth (soaked chia seeds last); add additional water and/or milk to thin if desired.
POW! Power breakfast done!


This is tasty and easy, and it is amazing how it gets me going and keeps me full! It's not super sweet and sugary , so you can always add a sweetener, but I wanted to keep this mainly natural and healthy. You do get a fair amount of sweetness from the protein powder and fruits. I've made these smoothies for the past 2 mornings- the first with the banana option (with only about 1/2 scoop protein powder), and the second using a prune and a little more protein powder.... I actually think I like the prune version better- who knew?

With kale, chia, fiber, and protein, this is one kick-butt breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments-drop me a line if you're stopping by!