This dish was 100% inspired by the above ingredients. I saw this giant bushel of these beautiful and cute little lady apples, right next to this big box of fresh, perfectly green Brussels sprouts at the grocery store, and that was it. I got both ingredients and decided they needed to be eaten together.
Recipe for sauce loosely adapted from this one.
- About 4 cups Brussels Sprouts, sliced into quarters
- 6-8 lady apples, sliced into quarters
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp champagne vinegar (apple cider will also work)
- 1-2 Tbsp melted vegan butter
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- Sea salt to taste
- Optional (to make as a main course): package of tempeh, sliced into cubes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Whisk together all ingredients for sauce (everything but the sprouts & apples) in a large bowl.
- Add the sprouts, apples, and (if using): tempeh to the bowl and toss to coat.
- Place in a buttered/sprayed casserole dish and sprinkle with additional brown sugar and melted butter if desired.
- Cook for about 30 minutes, stirring about half way through, or until the sprouts are tender and lightly browned.