Sometimes work takes over life. It happens. This week has also been thrown off a little by what's going on this weekend- more on that later... While I usually have pretty good work-life balance, that's not always the case. But that's when quick, healthy meals are the perfect option. This one, which comes from my sister-in-law, is one of those meals, and it features an ingredient I totally love: soba noodles. They rock. Buy some, throw 'em together with some veggies, and you have yourself one yummy little meal.
- 8 ounces Soba noodles
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 and 1/2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup carrots, sliced
- 1 cup broccoli, cut into bite-sized florets
- 1 cup shelled edamame, defrosted if frozen
- 1 and 1/2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds
- Cook the soba noodles according to package instructions (about 10 minutes total time).
- In a wok, heat the sesame oil. Add the garlic and saute for a minute or two. Add the veggies with a little water and the soy sauce, and steam until tender.
- Mix together the noodles and veggies, adding additional soy sauce if desired. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve.
So what's with the exciting weekend? Well, after over 4 months of training, I'll be running my third ever marathon, Big Sur, bright and early tomorrow morning. I'm excited and nervous all in one! (It's been 8 years since I last did a marathon.) What will I be eating for my pre-marathon, vegan meal? Probably taking it pretty simple, a version of the above but your basic pasta and veg for dinner and some power-packed oatmeal in the AM. Nothing fancy or new! After the race, my husband and I are taking a little vacation to Mexico, where I expect to lay on a beach and just relaaaaaaaax...... I'll be back from Mexico with tales from the race, vegan post-marathon food, and more....
Adios, see ya on the other side of 26.2!!