Sunday, April 22, 2012

Sweet Potato Everything Burgers


I've been traveling for work and it's been crazy busy, so just a quick post... had to try my own version of Happy Healthy Life's sweet potato burgers. I added more veggies and they were completely satisfying, delicious, and a snap to throw together- even for the busy working types!

Recipe adapted from HHL's Easy Sweet Potato Burgers
Ingredients:
For 4 burgers
  • 1/2-3/4 can white cannelini or butter beans
  • 1 sweet potato (to use enough for about a cup mashed)
  • 3/4 cup cauliflower, chopped into small pieces and steamed
  • 1 Tbsp tahini
  • 1 tsp agave syrup
  • 1 Tbsp whole wheat flour
  • 1 Tbsp oats
  • 1/2 tsp tapioca flour
  • 1/2 tsp lemon pepper seasoning, or Spike
  • Sea Salt & pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh spinach
  • Optional other veggies: a few spoonfuls of steamed edamame, corn, and/or mushrooms
  • Optional: bread crumbs
Steps:
  1. Bake the sweet potato until tender, then allow to cool enough to peel. (*Since I was adding steamed cauliflower to the recipe, I reduced the amount of sweet potato, and used only about 1/2 of a large sweet potato.) In a large bowl, mash the potato, beans, and cauliflower together. Add in the spinach while the potato & cauliflower are still warm.
  2. Mix in the rest of the ingredients besides the edamame and/or corn (if using), and stir until combined. Then add  any other veggies using, and form 4 balls. *If needed, you can add more wet (ie, mashed sweet potato, cauliflower, beans) or dry (oats, flour) ingredients if your consistency isn't slightly moist but firm enough to hold together.
  3. If desired, roll in bread crumbs or additional oats, and then flatten into a large patty. 
  4. Heat some olive oil or earth balance in a pan and cook the patties until browned on each side.
Enjoy! These were so yummy with the sweet potato filling, and I really liked adding the oats to the original recipe, as well as all the veggies leftovers I had in my fridge ;-)

1 comment:

  1. YUM!

    I love Sweet Potatoes - sweet potatoes in burger form, awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments-drop me a line if you're stopping by!