Along with my husband and a few friends, I ran the San Francisco half marathon this Sunday (the first half, which goes across the Golden Gate bridge). Aside from waking up at 4:30 AM, it was great! Very hilly, though. After 13.1 miles of running up and down and all around San Francisco, I was craving a nice big breakfast! I have to admit, I was reaaaaaaaally jealous watching my husband eat his egg & cheese bagel, but I'd made a commitment to go vegan for the month of July, and it was July 31! I couldn't give up on the last day!
So instead, I waited until we got home and whipped up this vegan tofu scramble. It's sooooo easy to make, and, I was pleasantly surprised, made me just as happy as an egg & cheese bagel would have.
Vegan tofu scramble (my take):
Ingredients (for 1 burrito):
- 1 serving firm tofu, drained and cut into pieces
- 1-2 Tbsp sun dried tomatoes in oil & herbs, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup shiitake mushrooms
- 1/2 small avocado
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary
- olive oil
- 1 flour or wheat tortilla, burrito sized
- In a small pan, saute the shiitake mushrooms in some olive oil, and then set them aside.
- Heat about 1 Tbsp olive oil and add tofu.
- Once the tofu is beginning to brown, add the sundried tomatoes and spinach. Cook until spinach is wilted. Add the rosemary and mix.
- Heat the tortilla for about 10-15 seconds, and add the scramble, mushrooms, and sliced avocado. Enjoy!
I also enjoyed a vegan mini muffin with my post-race brunch!