Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Vegan post-run brunch: tofu scramble breakfast burrito

vegan breakfast burrito
Along with my husband and a few friends, I ran the San Francisco half marathon this Sunday (the first half, which goes across the Golden Gate bridge). Aside from waking up at 4:30 AM, it was great! Very hilly, though. After 13.1 miles of running up and down and all around San Francisco, I was craving a nice big breakfast! I have to admit, I was reaaaaaaaally jealous watching my husband eat his egg & cheese bagel, but I'd made a commitment to go vegan for the month of July, and it was July 31! I couldn't give up on the last day!

So instead, I waited until we got home and whipped up this vegan tofu scramble. It's sooooo easy to make, and, I was pleasantly surprised, made me just as happy as an egg & cheese bagel would have.

Vegan tofu scramble (my take):
Ingredients (for 1 burrito):
  • 1 serving firm tofu, drained and cut into pieces
  • 1-2 Tbsp sun dried tomatoes in oil & herbs, sliced thin
  • 1/2 cup fresh spinach
  • 1/2 cup shiitake mushrooms
  • 1/2 small avocado
  • 1 tsp fresh rosemary
  • olive oil
  • 1 flour or wheat tortilla, burrito sized
Steps:
  1. In a small pan, saute the shiitake mushrooms in some olive oil, and then set them aside.
  2. Heat about 1 Tbsp olive oil and add tofu.
  3. Once the tofu is beginning to brown, add the sundried tomatoes and spinach. Cook until spinach is wilted. Add the rosemary and mix.
  4. Heat the tortilla for about 10-15 seconds, and add the scramble, mushrooms, and sliced avocado. Enjoy!
(I just might have added ketchup to this too!)

I also enjoyed a vegan mini muffin with my post-race brunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments-drop me a line if you're stopping by!