White Acorn Squash with Sweet Tempeh and Mushroooms
- 1 white acorn squash
- 8 oz shittake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 package of tempeh, cubed
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2-3 Tbsp soy sauce
- A few dashes of sriracha (I used about 6-8 drops)
- 1 tsp fig jam
- handful of almonds, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350F. Slice squash in half and remove seeds. Place face down in large dish with a few inches of water. Cook for 30-35 minutes, until tender with a fork.
- After putting the squash in the oven, mix together the maple syrup, soy sauce, sriracha and jam in a small bowl. Place the tempeh in a bake safe dish and pour the sauce over it; toss to coat. Place in the oven with the squash for 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, place the sliced mushrooms with 1 Tbsp soy sauce and toss. After 15 minutes of cooking the tempeh, add in the mushrooms and sliced almonds, stirring to mix around the sauce. Add more maple syrup and/or soy sauce if needed, and cook for until 10-15 minutes, until tempeh is browned.
- To serve, place the tempeh mix inside each half of squash and enjoy warm.
Other squash bowl meal ideas:
- Acorn squash stuffed with roasted veggie quinoa, rainbow quinoa with cranberries, nuts, and spinach, or quinoa with cashew butter and apples
- Butternut squash with farro or wheatberry salad
- Spaghetti squash with tomato sauce, broccoli, and mushrooms