I never get sick. At least, I say I never get sick. This week, after coming back from a long weekend away with too little sleep, I felt it coming on. I downed one of those vitamin C smoothie drinks, along with some Cold-Eeze pills, but it was useless. Hellloooo cold/flu from hell. The last time I was sick (about 3 years ago), I remember my sister giving me kiwis, because they contain more vitamin C than an orange. And then I thought of this fruit-filled raw pie, and how refreshing it would be to soothe my sore throat, and I was on my way to kiwi pie heaven...
Fruit Fly Vitamin C Pie
Adapted from Follow the Fruit Fly's Upside-Down Cake
Makes 1 small pie, 2-4 servings
- 1 orange, peeled and cut in round slices
- 2 kiwis, cut in round slices
- 1-2 bananas, sliced
- 8 Medjool dates, pitted
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup quick oats
- Line a plastic container or glass dish (I used a 14 oz Ziplock plastic container, about 5 inches in diameter, and it was the perfect size for this amount) with the banana slices, so that they cover the bottom & sides.
- Place the dates, oats, and coconut in a food processor and mix until they form a paste.
- Spread a layer of the paste on top of the bananas in the container, making sure to fill in any gaps between the bananas with the date paste.
- Next, spread a layer of kiwis, followed by the orange slices, and then another kiwi layer (this should fill to the top of the container). Finish the pie by spreading the remaining date paste over the top of the container.
- Store in the fridge overnight (or at least a few hours- longer will make getting it out easier).
- To remove from container, use a knife to loosen the banana from the sides, carefully going along the side of the container. Invert over a plate.
Delish! And so easy. As Follow the Fruit Fly suggests, you can use many different fruits here. I wasn't so careful about layering of my fruits (I am not feeling well after all!) - so check our her site for a prettier version than mine! But I did like using the oranges in here- it went great with the kiwi & banana. Here's to LOTs of vitamin C and kicking colds!