Happy Leap Day!
My first try at vegan chocolate pudding didn't work out so well. But, actually, it's not that hard to make a tasty vegan chocolate pudding or mousse. This is a good base recipe that can easily be altered to include different fruit mix-ins, and it's quick too!
*Note that this ingredient list is for just 2 servings; so easily doubled for more!!
- 1/2 package of silken tofu, drained and pressed
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 1-2 Tbsp cocoa powder (I used 1 Tbsp the second time I made it and it was only slightly less chocolately, but go according to your preference)
- 2 Tbsp Enjoy Life, semi-sweet, or dark chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp vanilla almond or soy milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Up to 1 Tbsp agave syrup to taste
- 1 packet stevia (or sub more agave to taste)
- 2 dates, pitted and chopped
- Optional add-ins: 1 Tbsp morello cherries in syrup (may want to reduce other sweetening options above), or 2 chopped figs, 2 Tbsp dried cranberries, 1/2 ripe banana, or 1/4 cup chopped strawberries.
- Place any dried fruit you are using in a food processor and pulse. Add in tofu and process.
- Place the chocolate chips in a small microwave-safe dish with the milk and microwave until melted (about 30 seconds or less). Mix and add to the food processor.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and process until smooth.
- Store in the freezer for about 30 minutes prior to serving, or in the fridge for a few hours.
I've made this a couple of different ways, and actually really like using the following add-ins: 2 figs, 2 dates, and 2 Tbsp dried cranberries. The figs do add "texture" since you can't really get around the seeds, but I love the flavor combination. But if you want a silky smooth pudding, opt for plain (no add-ins), cranberries, banana, or jarred cherries. Also, regarding storage: you can store this in the freezer, and after a few hours it will completely solidify. But if you just allow it to re-thaw for about 20 minutes before serving, you'll have an icier version!
This isn't overwhelmingly sweet or chocolatey, but rather a smooth delicious blend that tastes like a healthy dessert or a slightly decadent breakfast! Have fun mixin' your puddin'!!