With the Superbowl coming up, here's a healthy alternative to chips & dip, and something more exciting than chips & salsa. Plus, you can use the leftovers on salad the next day for lunch.
This mix is quick and easy, and works well with scoops tortilla chips. Yum!
Black Eyed Pea Dip
Serves 16 (it makes a LOT, so feel free to halve)
- 1 16 oz can of black-eyed peas (or about 2 cups of soaked peas from bag)
- 1.5 cups frozen corn, cooked
- 1.5 cups frozen peas, cooked
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/8 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Tabasco sauce
- 1/4 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
- Sea salt to taste
- Drain & rinse the blacked eyed peas
- Cook the frozen peas & corn (but don't let them get soggy!! Use shortest cooking time instructed on package, so they are basically just thawed).
- Combine onion, garlic, oil, vinegar, mustard, Tabasco sauce, and pepper in a bowl. Add in the peas & corn and mix well.
- Chill for at least a few hours prior to serving.
- Just before serving, add in the fresh chopped herbs. Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Serve with corn chips (or on top of greens as a salad) & enjoy!
This keeps well for a few days, so feel free to make ahead.