Monday, January 16, 2012

Chocolate Bundt Cake


I don't know what it is about getting married that makes you think you need things like a springform or bundt pan, if you've never used either before. But, I asked for them, I got them, and both have been sitting in my cabinets, unused, for 3 years.

This weekend, I got a case of the "I just want to bake something"s, and decided it was time to use that damn bundt pan. And one of my awesome new cookbooks, Veganomicon. Let me just say right off the bat that my husband took a few bites of this cake and said, "Ok, this goes on the list of your best vegan dishes." Score! Chocolately, but low in fat. Double score.

I don't really go out of my way for chocolate desserts, but this has a hint of almond flavor and light, moist texture that is just awesome. It's reminiscent of a brownie, but a more impressive, grown-up brownie. De-lish. And easy to make, too.


The blasted bundt pan!
Recipe from Veganomicon
Makes 1 bundt cake

Ingredients:
  • 1 and 3/4 cup fresh brewed coffe
  • 2/3 cup unsweetened Dutch cocoa powder
  • 1 and 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1/3 cup canola oil
  • 1/3 cup applesauce 
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp almond extract
  • 2 cups flour (all purpose white or whole wheat pastry flour)
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 and 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp sald
  • Powdered sugar for dusting
Steps:
  1. Preheat oven to 325 and lightly grease the bundt pan.
  2. Brew coffee, and then place in a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Turn down the heat and then whisk in the cocoa powder until dissolved. Remove from heat and set aside.
  3. Mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl.
  4. In a separate larger bowl, whisk together the sugar, oil, applesauce, and cornstarch until well mixed. Add the extracts, and once cooled, add in the chocolate/coffee mix. 
  5. Add in the flour mix and whisk it all together until fairly smooth.
  6. Pour the batter into the bundt pan and bake for about 40-45 minutes. Check with a toothpick; when it comes out clean, you're done!
  7. Cool for about 20 minutes, and then flip upside down so the cake falls out onto a plate. Dust with desired amount of powdered sugar and enjoy!!
Ok, I'm coming around to this whole Bundt thing... it does make one pretty cake.


As I said, this is delicious and easy to make. Definitely loving this new cookbook- it seems very complete! Happy to add it to my vegan cookbook bunch...


This would be a great cake to bring to a party or pot-luck! You get hints of the almond and coffee, with a rich, chocolatey, velvety taste that melts on your tongue. Mmmmm....

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments-drop me a line if you're stopping by!