Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Orange Spice Chia Oatmeal

I am on some kind of crazy orange kick here. I've been craving orange like you wouldn't believe and putting it in just about everything- my water (a great refreshing way to start the day!), my farro & kale salad for dinner last night, cookies I made this weekend, and now my oatmeal too.


My favorite kind of oatmeal when I was a kid was the Raisins & Spice flavor from Quaker Oats. I can picture those purple packets, making myself a bowl before school. This oatmeal is a grown-up, healthier version, with an orange twist.

Orange Spice Chia Oatmeal
Serves 2
Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup less 1 Tbsp quick oats
  • 1/4 cup less 1 Tbsp rolled oats
  • 2 Tbsp bran
  • 1 tsp lucuma powder (optional)
  • 2 tsp to 1 Tbsp chia seeds
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • scant 1/8 tsp cardamom
  • 1/8 tsp vanilla extract
  • juice from 1 orange
  • zest from 1/2 orange
  • about 1 and 1/4 to 1 and 1/2 cups water
  • 1 tsp coconut palm sugar (or brown sugar)
  • 1 date, chopped
  • Additional optional sweeteners: more coconut palm sugar or date, drizzle of maple syrup
Place all ingredients in a large 2-3 cup glass measuring cup (or other microwave-safe container- it helps if it is fairly deep, as the mix should bubble up a bit) and microwave for 2 minutes, watching to make sure the mix doesn't bubble over. Mix and return to microwave for another minute, again watching. Leave in microwave for 5 minutes with door closed for extra fluffiness.

This isn't overly sweet, but just the right amount for me, and I love how the bright orange mixes with the spices and vanilla in this perfectly soft, fluffy oatmeal. For my husband, I added a little drizzle of maple syrup on top since he's used to your typical breakfast cereal- at least this is a much healthier option!

So yummy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments-drop me a line if you're stopping by!