I saw a whole bunch of flavors of Kahlua at the grocery store, and was thinking of Mexican Hot Chocolate, and then these cupcakes just happened!
Mexican Hot Chocolate Cupcakes
Makes 24 mini cupcakes or 8-10 large cupcakes
- 3/4 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp+ 1.5 tsp cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/4 cup Kahlua
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 2 Tbsp mashed banana
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp coconut milk (light or regular)
- 1 Tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp chocolate almond or soy milk
- 2 Tbsp shortening
- 2 Tbsp Earth Balance
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup Dandies marshmallows, melted
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract (increase to 1/2 tsp if you don't have vanilla-flavored Kahlua)
- 1-2 drops marshmallow extract
- 1 Tbsp French Vanilla Kahlua
- 2-3 tsp chocolate almond or soy milk
- Chocolate drizzle- melted chocolate chips (a few Tbsp or leftover of the filling above)
- Dandies marshmallows, 6 cut into quarters if making mini cupcakes, or individual for large cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a 24-mini muffin pan with mini cupcake holders.
- Combine dry cupcake ingredients in a large bowl and sift. In a separate bowl, mix wet ingredients, and then pour wet into dry and mix well.
- Use a Tbsp to spoon a scant Tbsp into each mini-cupcake holder (about 3/4 full).
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool.
- For filling, melt the chocolate (in microwave works fine) and then wisk in the other ingredients. Once the cupcakes are cooled, use a skewer or toothpick to create a little well in the middle of each cupcake, and spoon about an 1/8 of a tsp (a little less) into each cupcake.
- For frosting, beat together the butters until creamy. Next, add powdered sugar. In a microwave, melt the marshmallows for about 20-30 seconds, until they just start puffing up. Immediately transfer to the frosting bowl and beat on medium. At this point things may start to get sticky, but it's ok; if the frosting sticks on the beater, simply pull it off and continue mixing. You can add more powdered sugar if needed. Mix in the remaining frosting ingredients, tasting as you go, and altering consistency if needed by adding more powdered sugar, or more liquid (almond milk or Kahlua).
- Frost the cupcakes, and if desired, drizzle with melted chocolate and top with a mini marshmallow.