Actually, it's more of a cake than a pie, but whatever you call it, it's awesome. This cake is incredible- refreshing, sweet, moist, a perfect mix of sugar & fruit. The soft cake has fresh sliced peaches mixed in, and cinnamon sugar topping. It tastes wonderful with a little peach ice cream... ideally from a place called Four Seas in Cape Cod :-)
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind
- 2 eggs
- 7/8 cup (or 1 cup minus 2 Tablespoons) sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups of peaches (fresh sliced and peeled, or canned)
- Cream the butter and gradually add 1/c cup sugar and lemon.
- Beat until light & fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time.
- In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the sifted flour mix ¼ cup at a time, and beat after each addition.
- Pour ½ the batter into a greased 8 inch square pan.
- Cover with peaches and then top with the remaining batter.
- For a topping, combine 1/3 cup sugar and ½ teaspoon cinnamon and sprinkle over the cake.
- Bake for 45 minutes at 350°.