Sunday, July 28, 2013

Ginger Peanut Soba Noodles with Maple Tempeh


For fourth of July this year, one of the dishes I made was Oh She Glow's Rad Rainbow Raw Pad Thai. It had an amazing lime-peanut dressing that I thought would go great on a soba noodle dish. I added a bunch of veggies, some sweet maple-glazed tempeh, and voila! A yummy, easy new dinner favorite!

Ginger Peanut Soba Noodles with Maple Tempeh and Veggies
Other than the dressing, I didn't really follow a recipe. Here's what I used:
  • Ingredients for Peanut-Lime dressing from Oh She Glows (I used 2 Tbsp T.Joe's Better'nButter and 2 Tbsp of Sunflower Seed butter in place of the almond butter, since I didn't have any; otherwise followed the ingredients & simply whisked together!)
  • 1 bunch baby broccoli
  • 1 package tempeh
  • 2 ears corn
  • 2 large carrots
  • 1 bunch soba noodles (I buy them in packages that contain 3 bunches- each bunch is about 2-3 servings)
  • Additional soy sauce/tamari, maple syrup, garlic, and ginger (these are all ingredients used in the dressing as well)
Sweet maple-glazed tempeh and sesame-soy baby broccoli

Steps:
  1. First, I made the dressing following Angela's instructions. Super easy! It's great on salads too, and I love having a bunch of it leftover.
  2. Next, steam the corn lightly (maybe 2-3 min each side in just a few inches of water). 
  3. Heat a little toasted sesame oil in a large pan (you can use the same one just used for the corn) and add the baby broccoli with a dash of soy sauce or tamari. Again, steam only for about 3 minutes; remove from pan. (I kept using the same pan to avoid having to clean too many!)
  4. Make a marinade for the tempeh: I used maybe 1 Tbsp tamari+ 3-4 Tbsp maple syrup + a little fresh ginger and minced garlic. Cut tempeh in cubes and place in marinade to coat.
  5. Heat a little more sesame oil in a pan and then add the tempeh and any marinade that didn't get soaked in. 
  6. As the tempeh is cooking, cut the corn from the cob in long strips, and grate the carrots into shreds. You can also cook the soba noodles according to package instructions as you are doing these other steps (boil water and then add soba noodles and cook for 4 min. Then drain and rinse in cold water).
  7. Continue cooking the tempeh, turning to coat each side, until the marinade is soaked up and you have sweet glazed little cubes.
  8. Put it all together: I added maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of the dressing to the soba noodles in a large bowl, chilled for about 10 min (optional), and then added in all the veggies and tempeh. You could always add more dressing and coat it all, but I liked the veggies as they were. 
This can be enjoyed hot or cold. Great for leftovers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments-drop me a line if you're stopping by!