I love smoothies, especially when the weather starts to get warmer. They are so refreshing, and- if done right- filling, nutritious, and delicious too. Plus, they are quick and easy. I learned the great trick of using frozen banana in smoothies to help make them thick & creamy from Kathy from Healthy.Happy.Life., and when I saw her smoothietude contest, I thought I'd finally enter one of these things (especially since the prizes are awesome, including a Vitamix- I have been lusting after one for soooooo long)! The above pic is my photo entry for the contest.
I tend to keep my smoothies pretty simple, but I do love trying out new ones too. Some staples in my smoothies:
- Vega One Powders- Vanilla Chai is my fave, I think.
- Frozen banana
- Other fresh or frozen fruits
- Superfood mix-ins, such as chia seeds, maca or lucuma powder, etc... a little can really boost the nutrients you're getting!
- Almond milk &/or water for the base
Wish me luck! And enjoy a smoothie ;-)
- I recently tried using frozen watermelon (another great recommendation from Kathy- the smoothie queen!) in my smoothies and it seriously rocks my world. My NEW fave is: frozen watermelon+coconut water+ Vega One vanilla powder (and sometimes some frozen banana too). It's incredibly delicious and so refreshing.
- I can't wait for Kathy's smoothie book: 365 Vegan Smoothies. Every smoothie of hers I've had I've loved- they are always innovative (frozen canteloupe? Yup!), delicious, and easy.
- I was nominated as a finalist for the above contest! So excited! EEK! (I would love your vote if you have a sec- trust me, I have a really, really, really good reason for needing a Vitamix- more to come on that later!!)