Monday, October 29, 2012

Kale & Kabocha Squash Curry Coconut Soup

This would be a perfect meal to make Sunday night, and then store and have waiting for you when you come home after a case of the Mondays; it's comforting, delicious, and tastes even better the next day. But it's also easy enough to quickly whip together after a long work day, in keeping with the theme of many of my vegan MoFo recipes.

When I saw red kabocha at the farmer's market, with a little sign that described it's sweet flavor, I knew I had to have it. I use green kabocha pretty regularly now, but hadn't tried the red variety yet. Kabocha squash is delicious roasted on its own, in curries, or in soups -like this Asian udon noodle soup- or this Fall-themed soup.


Kale & Kabocha Squash Curry Coconut Soup
Serves 4
Ingredients:
  • 1 red kabocha squash, sliced into bite-sized cubes (Note: you can eat the outer skin of the kabocha, it's rich in nutrients, so feel free to leave on the skin! But if you didn't get an organic squash, I'd recommend peeling it, which is easy enough to do).
  • 3-4 large leaves of kale, chopped
  • 2- 2.5 cups veggie broth (I used 1 vegan veggie boullion cube in 2.5 cups of water)
  • 1 cup light coconut milk
  • 1/2 tsp curry powder
  • 1/2 tsp garam masala
  • 1 sprig fresh thyme
  • dash of nutmeg
Steps:
  1. Heat the veggie broth and add the coconut milk. 
  2. Add the squash, curry powder, and garam masala and simmer on low heat, covered, for 25 minutes. 
  3. Add the thyme and kale and continue simmering for another 5 minutes, or until kabocha is tender and kale is wilted.
  4. Add a dash of nutmeg and serve hot.

This keeps well for a day or two, with the flavors intensifying, so yay for leftovers!

2 comments:

  1. This looks amazing! I just recently discovered Kabocha Squash and I am in love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yeah it is great in curries, and you can eat the skin too, which I love!

      Delete

I love comments-drop me a line if you're stopping by!