Monday, August 2, 2010

Sweet Potato and Parsnip Puree

From: Gourmet Magazine, via Epicurious

Did I mention I love parsnips? This side makes a nice substitute for the much less-healthy but traditional candied yams we always had for Thanksgiving and Christmas growing up. Actually, my husband found this recipe and first made it for Thanksgiving, and when he suggested we nix the candied yams for this dish I was incensed; but, after tasting it, I LOVED it. (So shhh! Don't tell my mom, but for the past 2 years we've been making this dish as a staple side instead of the brown sugar-topped sweet potatoes. But I'll still post the recipe for those later, as they ARE delicious too...) The flavor of the parsnips really comes through in this heavenly whipped dish, making it just a little bit different and exciting.

Serves: 4 (ie, you might as well double it if it's Thanksgiving!)

Ingredients:
  • 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
  • 4 parsnips, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
  • 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
  • 1/4 cup of whole milk
  • 3 Tbsp brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
Steps:
  1. Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and parsnips and boil gently until tender, about 12 min. Drain well and transfer to a food processor.
  2. Add butter while the potato/parsnip mix is still hot, and puree until smooth.
  3. Add milk, brown sugar, and salt, and blend well.
  4. Season with pepper to taste and serve.
Notes: The pureeing can be a bit of a time-consuming process to get that smooth consistency, but stick with it- it's worth it. You can prepare this early and reheat it, but I think it's best fresh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments-drop me a line if you're stopping by!